Here is our play-by-play, year-by-year
1930 | 1950 | 1960 | 1970 | 1980 | 1990 | 2000 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 |
- Guardian Glass Company begins as a small windshield fabricator in Detroit, Michigan
- Photo division established.
- William Davidson named president.
- Guardian files for bankruptcy protection under Chapter 11.
- Guardian comes out of bankruptcy; all creditors paid in full.
- The company name is changed to Guardian Industries Corp.
- Guardian goes public with first trade at $17 a share.
- ABC Photo merges with Guardian.
- Guardian stock begins trading on American Stock Exchange.
- Permaglass plants purchased in Millbury, Ohio; Ft. Lauderdale, Florida; Torrance, California; Toronto, Ontario.
- Guardian's first float line begins operation in Carleton, Michigan.
- Guardian headquarters moves to Novi, Michigan.
- Guardian stock reaches $135 a share.
- Guardian Auto Glass created with purchase of Glass for Cars, Inc. and Beachland Glass Co.
- Guardian stock begins trading on New York Stock Exchange.
- Second float line in Carleton, Michigan, begins operation.
- Glass Guard Industries purchased in Webster, Massachusetts.
- Upper Sandusky, Ohio, automotive glass fabrication plant begins operation.
- Annual sales reach $100 million.
- Howards Photo Laboratories purchased.
- Tillsonburg, Ontario, Canada, tempering plant begins operation.
- Annual sales reach $200 million.
- K Photo Service in Allentown, Pennsylvania, is purchased.
- Kingsburg, California, float line begins operation.
- Mineral wool manufacturing operation begins in Huntington, Indiana.
- Guardian purchases 17 GAF photo-processing plants.
- Novi, Michigan, photo plant and corporate offices' expansion completed.
- Corsicana, Texas, float line begins operation.
- Fiberglass insulation manufacturing begins in Albion, Michigan.
- Annual revenues reach $300 million.
- New Slippery Rock, Pennsylvania, photo processing plant begins operation.
- Guardian expands Upper Sandusky, Ohio, automotive glass plant.
- Guardian begins operation in Bascharage, Luxembourg.
- Guardian celebrates 50th anniversary.
- Double Seal Glass Company purchased with plants in Flint, Michigan, and Rogers, Arkansas.
- Guardian purchases AIRCO coating plant in Carleton, Michigan.
- Fullerton, California, rolled glass plant purchased.
- Guardian acquires 55 percent interest in Floreffe, Pennsylvania, float glass plant.
- Guardian Transportation organized.
- Guardian introduces Low-E glass.
- Guardian acquires C & T Glass Company in Walled Lake, Michigan.
- Guardian acquires 48 percent interest in Villosa sheet glass plant in Llodio, Spain.
- Guardian purchases remaining interest in Floreffe, Pennsylvania, plant.
- Guardian announces plans to buy back all outstanding shares.
- Guardian acquires remaining 52 percent interest in Llodio, Spain, plant; converts to float line.
- Guardian goes private after 17 years as a public company.
- Auburn, Indiana, automotive fabrication plant begins operation.
- Buchmin Industries is purchased in Reedley, California.
- Guardian Photo celebrates 30th anniversary.
- HealthGuard program introduced.
- Mineral Wells, Mississippi, fiberglass plant begins operation.
- Guardian College Scholarship Program started.
- Guardian acquires Windsor Plastics plants in Evansville, Indiana and Grand Prairie, Texas.
- Richburg, South Carolina, float glass plant begins operation.
- Guardian launches float glass plant in Dudelange, Luxembourg.
- Carleton, Michigan, plant celebrates 20th anniversary.
- Vimosa float glass plant begins operation in Maturin, Venezuela.
- Guardian acquires half interest in Industries Cover, Inc. in Quebec.
- Oroshaza, Hungary float glass plant begins operation.
- Guardian purchases Trenline Laramee in Rexdale, Ontario.
- Guardian acquires Falconer Glass Industries plants in Jamestown, New York, and Lewistown, Pennsylvania.
- Guardian purchases Walker-Atlantic Glass in Toronto, Ontario.
- Ligonier, Indiana, automotive fabrication plant begins operation.
- Guardian Photo Division is sold to Qualex.
- Guardian acquires major interest in OIS Optical Imaging Systems, Inc.
- Guardian acquires Consolidated Glass & Mirror Company in Galax, Virginia.
- Float glass plant begins operation in Nong Khae, Thailand.
- Gujarat, India float glass plant begins operation.
- Grevenmacher automotive fabrication plant begins operation in Luxembourg.
- Tudela, Spain float glass plant begins operation.
- Guardian establishes subsidiary Guardian Japan Ltd., to distribute products in Japan.
- Graham Fiberglass plant acquired in Erin, Ontario.
- Guardian Brazil established in Sao Paulo, Brazil, to distribute products in region.
- Corporate headquarters moves to new facility in Auburn Hills, Michigan.
- Gujarat, India, begins operation of mirror line.
- Nong Khae, Thailand, begins operation of mirror line.
- Guardian acquires 70% interest in Automotive Moulding Company in Warren, Michigan, with three automotive trim plants in Georgia.
- DeWitt, Iowa, float glass plant begins operation.
- Al-Jubail, Saudi Arabia, float glass plant begins operation.
- Thalheim, Germany, float glass plant begins operation.
- Thalheim, Germany, begins operation of a new coating line.
- Rayong, Thailand, float glass plant begins operation.
- Distribution centers established in Argentina and South Africa.
- Operation begins at automotive trim plant in Morehead, Kentucky.
- Guardian acquires Lab. Radio, an automotive trim manufacturer in Valencia, Spain.
- Geneva, New York, float glass plant begins operation.
- Porto Real, Brazil, float glass plant begins operation.
- Operation begins at fiberglass plant in Inwood, West Virginia.
- Richburg, South Carolina, plant begins operation of a new pattern line.
- DeWitt, Iowa, and Lewistown, Pennsylvania, facilities begin operation of mirror lines.
- Guardian Fiberglass acquires Builder Marts of America (BMA), a building materials buying group.
- Pattern line installed in Al-Jubail, Saudi Arabia, plant.
- BMA purchases controlling interest in ACE Hardware's LBM buying group.
- Guardian purchases partner's interest in Rayong and Nong Khae, Thailand, operations.
- Thalheim, Germany, begins operation of a new jumbo laminating line.
- Guardian Fiberglass acquires Cameron Ashley Building Products.
- Guardian opens float glass distribution centers in Veracruz, México and Cartagena, Colombia..
- Kingman, Arizona, fiberglass plant opens.
- Science & Technology Center opens in Carleton, Michigan.
- Porto Real, Brazil, begins operation of a new mirror line.
- Corsicana, Texas, begins operation of a new coating line.
- Tudela, Spain, begins operation of a new jumbo laminating line.
- Guardian purchases TruServ's LBM division.
- Construction begins for Guardian's new coating facility near Bascharage, Luxembourg.
- New Al-Jubail, Saudi Arabia, mirror line begins operation.
- New India mirror line begins operation.
- Guardian lays cornerstone for a new float plant in Czestochowa, Poland.
- Guardian celebrates 20 years in Europe.
- Guardian's new float plant in Czestochowa, Poland, begins operation.
- Guardian purchases partial ownership of the Egyptian Glass Company.
- Guardian launches world's largest sputter coater in Bascharage, Luxembourg.
- Cameron Ashley changes name to Guardian Building Products Distribution.
- Guardian's new float plant in Goole, East Riding of Yorkshire, England, begins operations.
- Guardian's Grevenmacher, Luxembourg automotive glass plant begins operation of new laminating and tempering line.
- The Llodio, Spain float glass plant begins operation of new laminating line.
- Guardian's Czestochowa, Poland float glass plant begins operation of new coating line.
- Guardian President William Davidson presents Employee of the Year Award to all Guardian employees.
- Guardian's Tudela, Spain float glass plant begins operation of new acid etch line.
- The Grevenmacher, Luxembourg automotive glass plant begins operation of second laminating line.
- Guardian's new float glass plant in El Marqués, Mexico, begins operation.
- Guardian's Kingsburg, California float glass plant begins operation of new coating line.
- The Inwood, West Virginia fiberglass insulation facility expands production capacity.
- The Albion, Michigan fiberglass insulation facility expands production capacity.
- The Mineral Wells, Mississippi fiberglass insulation facility expands production capacity.
- Guardian introduces ClimaGuard SPF residential glass, the first glass technology that delivers complete UV protection plus the beauty of natural daylight.
- Guardian's DeWitt, Iowa float glass plant begins production on new sputter coating line.
- Guardian Building Products acquires the assets of CGI/Silvercote.
- Guardian introduces ShowerGuard glass, the industry's first temperable, permanently protected shower glass.
- Guardian Building Products acquires the assets of Heartland Insulation Inc.
- Guardian Automotive launches the Guardian HPS (High Performance Slider), a rear sliding window replacement part for pickup trucks. HPS captured the Most Innovative Use of Plastics Award from the Society of Plastics Engineers in November.
- Guardian Building Products introduces FattBatt, the industry's thickest batt and highest R-value fiberglass insulation.
- Guardian Automotive opens distribution centers in Portland, Oregon; Tampa, Florida; and Phoenix, Arizona.
- Guardian begins producing fiberglass insulation at converted Mack Truck facility in Winnsboro, South Carolina.
- Guardian celebrates 75th anniversary.
- Guardian introduces G-Coat, an automotive paint-over-chrome product.
- Guardian Automotive opens a distribution center in LaGrange, Georgia.
- Guardian's new float glass plant in Ras al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates, begins operation.
- Guardian begins glass production at new float plant in Ryazan, Russia.
- Goole, England float glass facility begins production on new laminating line.
- Guardian Automotive acquires Siegel-Robert Automotive.
- Guardian announces expansion of Kingsburg, California float glass facility.
- Guardian introduces CrystalGray, a high performance float glass with a new color option for architects and designers.
- Guardian adds six new glass colors to its SunGuard product line.
- Guardian launches SRG Global, one of the largest manufacturers of chrome plated plastic parts in the world.
- Guardian mourns the loss of its chairman, president and CEO William Davidson.
- Guardian announces new board of directors.
- Guardian unveils ClimaGuard 63/31 Residential Low-E Glass, designed for all U.S. climates and energy tax credit requirements.
- SRG Global announces plans to build a new manufacturing facility in Boleslawiec, Poland.
- Guardian begins glass production at its second Brazilian float glass plant in Tatui, Sao Paulo.
- Guardian introduces EcoGuard, its line of solar glass products.
- Guardian glass covers the Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world.
- Guardian Brazil celebrates the launch of its high technology coater in Porto Real.
- Guardian celebrates new coater and plant expansion in Tudela, Spain.
- Scott Thomsen named Group Vice President, North American Flat Glass, Guardian Industries.
- Mike Morrison named President, Guardian Automotive.
- Guardian Auto Glass opens locations in Phoenix, Arizona; Denver, Colorado; Orange County, California; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; and Athens, Georgia.
- SRG Global breaks ground on Mexican production facility.
- Scott Thomsen named President of Guardian Industries' global Flat Glass Group.
- Guardian holds groundbreaking ceremony for its largest float glass plant in Krasny Sulin, Russia.
- Guardian announces partnership with Joel Berman Glass Studios.
- Steven D. Ziessler named President of Guardian Building Products.
- David Jaffe named a Vice President of Guardian Industries.
- Guardian Automotive opens new distribution centers in Tuscon, Arizona and Denver, Colorado.
- Guardian expands United Kingdom plant with high-technology glass coater.
- Guardian launches ClimaGuard IS-15 and IS-20 to help meet new codes and standards.
- SRG Global opens manufacturing plant in Bolestawiec, Poland.
- Guardian announces InGlass program and launches Guardian InGlass website.
- Martin Bracamonte named Vice President of Science and Technology for Guardian Industries' Flat Glass.
- Guardian debuts SunGuard SNR 43 and SunGuard IS 20.
- Guardian Auto Glass expansion continues into Colorado Springs, Colorado and Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Guardian Automotive opens new distribution centers in Cincinnati, Ohio and Charlotte, North Carolina.
- Guardian Industries and Pythagoras Solar announce collaboration to launch SunGuard PVGU.
- Charles (Chuck) Croskey named Chairman of the Guardian Industries Board of Directors.
- Guardian delivers EcoGuard solar mirrors for the world's largest solar thermal power plant in California's Mojave Dessert.
- Guardian and Soladigm announce they will work together to market and sell dynamic glass in the comercial buildings sector, launching SunGuard EC.
- SRG Global opens production facility in Mexico.
- Guardian begins production at its Krasny Sulin (Rostov region), Russia float glass plant.
- Koch Industries invests in Guardian Industries.
- Ron Vaupel named President and CEO of Guardian Industries.
- Guardian DiamondGuard is installed in the Empire State Building (ESB).
- SRG Global and FALTEC Co. Ltd. announces the grand opening of their joint venture manufacturing facility, FALTEC SRG Global (Thailand) Co. LTD.
- Guardian launches DiamondGuard in Europe.
- Guardian Automotive introduces Custom Glass Solutions to serve diverse transportation segments.
- Kevin Baird named President of the Guardian Industries' Global Flat Glass Group.
- Guardian Reveal is a USGlass Magazine Product of the Year.
- Guardian introduces SunGuard SNX 51/23.
- SRG Global breaks ground on a Mexican production facility expansion in Irapuato, Mexico.
- Guardian introduces SunGuard Spandrel HT.
- Guardian introduces ShowerGuard Low-Iron.
- Guardian names Rick Zoulek Vice President for the Americas.
- Tom Pastore named General Counsel and Secretary for Guardian Industries.
- Guus Boekhoudt name Guardian Flat Glass European Vice President.
- Guardian Science & Technology Center completes an expansion to accelerate the rate of product development and advance Guardian's commitment to innovation.
- Guardian Industries names Tom Highley new Guardian Building Products President and CEO.
- SRG Global officiates land opening ceremony for the site of its second facility in China.